Dissertation theses and student work are to be published in Pdf (Portable Document Format). For a long time the program Adobe Acrobat Professional was the only tool for creating pdf files. Nowadays there are more tools available, some of which are described below. Still though, Adobe Acrobat Professional is the tool giving the best facilities for influencing the quality of the resulting file.
- Tools for creating pdf files
- Dissertation - use Adobe Acrobat
- Creating pdf files with PDF995
- Edit pdf files
1. Tools for creating pdf files
Adobe Acrobat Professional is a commercial software. It can be used not only for creating pdf files but also for editing them. The program contains a printer part named Adobe PDF. The creation of pdf is done by the printing command and the function is available in all programs that have a printing function. The quality of the pdf file is specified in a joboptions file. Resolution is one example of quality parameters.
Pdf995 is a free software, available on the internet. It is easy to download. It installs as a printer and pdf files are created by the printing command. There are some possibilities to specify quality properties and to edit pdf files.
Office 2007 gives the possibilty to save files in pdf format. Choose the command Save as... and choose file format pdf. There are two quality levels: "Publish online and print" and "Publish online".
Macintosh system 10 (at least version 10.3 and later) contains a function for creating pdf files. It can be used in all programs with a printing function. Choose the command Print and click the button PDF. It is not possible to influence the quality of the file.
2. Dissertation - use Adobe Acrobat
You need access to the program Adobe Acrobat Professional, which is acommercial software. SLU-departments can supply their employees with the program for a fraction of the regular cost by making use of the Select-agreement. For more information on Select see SLU IT office:
Selectavtalet (in Swedish)
2.1 How do I create the file correctly?
With Acrobat pdf-files can be created with different paper sizes and different qualities (e.g. resolution). In many cases the default paper size is set to the American "letter" format, which is not suitable for a thesis going to be printed. You can choose another paper size when creating the pdf but it is also possible to set the default paper size to A4. Do like this:
- Click; Start > Printers and Faxes.
- Click Adobe PDF.
- Click Select printing preferences.
- Choose A4 in the list Adobe PDF Page Size.
The quality of the created file is controlled by joboption files. Adobe provides the user with a number of ready-made joboption alternatives of which the one named Standard is default. When creating the thesis pdf, however, it is recommended to use one of the specially designed joboption files, created by SLU Repro. The files are named ReprosX.joboptions, where X denotes the version of the Acrobat program. They are available as a part of the filepackage containing the stylesheets but can also be downloaded separatly from the
Epsilon Template's page. Use the one with the same version number as your Acrobat program.
To be able to use ReprosX.joboptions, you must move or copy the file into the right catalogue of your Acrobat program. Some examples:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Adobe PDF\Settings
- Windows Vista:
- Mac OS X:
Hard disc drive\Library\Application Support\Adobe PDF\Settings
2.2 Create the pdf-file
There are different ways of creating the pdf file. To make sure you will be able to select the correct joboptions file for the conversion, follow these steps:
- Choose the menu command File > Print.
- Choose printer "Adobe PDF".
- Click the button "Properties". On the tab "Adobe PDF Settings" choose "ReprosX" in the drop down menu "Default Settings". If the drop down menu "Adobe PDF Page Size" says Letter, change to A4.
- Click OK in the dialog for properties and in the dialog for printing. Save the pdf-file.
3. Create pdf files with Pdf995
Pdf995 is a free software for PC, available on the internet. It is easy to download and it installs itself as a printer in your computer.
3.1 Download and install Pdf995
Download Pdf995 (external webpage)
Download these files:
- Pdf995 Printer Driver, file name pdf995s.exe
- Free Converter, file name ps2pdf.exe
- pdfEdit995, file name pdfedit.exe - facility to change conversion settings, page format etc.
Find the downloaded files on your computer and click them to install. Start with the Printer Driver and the Converter, end with pdfEdit995.
3.2 Create pdf using Pdf995
- Open your doc file in Word. Choose menu command File > Print. Choose printer "PDF995"
- Click the button "Properties" and then the button "Advanced". Check that the paper format is A4, otherwise change to A4.
- Give the file a name and save it.
4. Edit pdf-files
To edit pdf file, you need the program Adobe Acrobat Professional.
4.1 Remove text:
- Go to Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Text Tool
- Highlight the text to be deleted and press delete.
4.2 Remove text that is part of a larger object
Sometimes it is not possible to remove text, because it is part of a larger object, without removing the whole object. In order to remove part of an object, that part must be converted to a separate object:
- Go to Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Reading Order Tool
- A new window is opened. Mark the part you want to remove, i.e the part you want to make into a separate object.
- Choose Background. Close the window.
- Go to Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Object Tool
- Click on the object you want to remove, so that it is marked, and then press delete.
4.3 Remove pages:
- Go to Document > Delete pages
- Enter the pages to be removed. Press OK.
4.4 Merge two pdf documents:
- Open document 1.
- Go to Document > Insert pages
- Browse document 2, that is to be merged into document 1.
- Choose whether document 2 is to be added before or after the first or last page, or any other page, in document 1.
- Click OK.
4.5 Save part of a pdf document:
- Open the pdf document containing the pages you want to save.
- Go to Document > Extract pages
- Note the pages you want to extract, i.e. the pages to be saved separately. Mark that the pages are to be extracted to a separate file. (Not to be removed.)
- Choose the folder where you want to save the file. The name of the file will be "filename pages.pdf"